The Common Pleas Courthouse was completed in 1854. It sits high atop a hill, overlooking downtown. It played a big part in our history, from American Indian council meetings to the Civil War. The dungeon was used to jail southern sympathizers and perhaps Confederate soldiers.
The lawn of the Common Pleas Courthouse was recently named Ivers Square in honor of James Iver, a local slave who enlisted in the Union Army.
On the west side of the courthouse stand memorials: A cast of a Union soldier, who sits atop a fountain way, was presented by the Women's Relief Corps in 1911; another is a Vietnam Memorial.