A campaign to establish the U.S.O. in the Fort Leonard Wood area began in March 1941. The military was still segregated, thus calling for separate clubs for white and colored soldiers. On March 8, 1942, a dedication ceremony was held to celebrate the new U.S.O. Club for colored soldiers. The club was located on Route 17, just outside of Fort Leonard Wood main gate.
In 1943, the colored U.S.O. was placed under the direction of the Salvation Army where it remained until the desegregation of the military in the late 1940s.
The land was bought by Mr. Earl Livingston in 1951. The building was changed to the Chimney Trailer Park and later the Chimney Pawn and Gun until the building was torn down. Mr. Carney of Rolla, used the building materials to build part of the Manor Inn in Rolla.
The U.S.O. chimney was left standing until 2010, when the heir to Mr. Livingston donated the chimney to the City of St. Robert.
The chimney is located on the west side of VFW Memorial Drive across from Saint Robert Glass Company.
The chimney was dedicated in October 2018.