Kansas City's oldest remaining brick residence is located in the Westport area on the Santa Fe, California and Oregon Trails. Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, the Greek Revival mansion was built in 1855 by early settlers, Col. John and Henrietta Harris.
The house stands prominently on the Battle of Westport Civil War Battlefield. In the fall of 1861, the Harris home was used as headquarters for the Union Army. In October of 1864, the Harris grandchildren witnessed the Battle of Westport from the mansion's second floor windows.
The Mansion House has been restored to its 1850s appearance and shares with visitors the heyday of Old West Port and the people who lived, worked and gave their lives for our country.
Visit our website for details and special event, exhibits, and concerts schedules.