Built in 1853, Old St. Vincent’s Church is a beautifully restored Gothic Catholic Church of 15th century Italian Renaissance architecture. It is predominately gothic with some Roman influence in the arches.An unusual feature is the more than 100 medieval-design plaster masks, portraying characters from the Miracle and Mystery plays. The pews and altars are original, as is the communion rail with its unusual wrought iron design, the windows, frames and casings. The massive 3.25-inch thick doors are hand carved. Very few churches of this style exist in America. It is truly surprising that a church of this magnitude and design was built in 1853 in the then small, quaint community of Cape Girardeau.There is something else about Old St. Vincent’s the church; something that cannot be physically touched, only felt. The gothic arches and the graceful lines invite one to prayer and fellowship. Old St. Vincent’s Church is designated as a “Chapel of Ease.” It hosts religious and cultural events throughout the year.Mass is celebrated Sunday at 10 a.m.