Visitors to the Coal Miners Museum can trace the history of coal mining in northern Missouri from its peak around the turn of the century into the mid-1900s. Between 1880 to 1966, the area was home to more than 50 recorded coal mines. Adair County was the third largest producer of coal in the state in 1912. The Billy Creek Coal Mine, the last deep shaft mine in the state, was located just west of Novinger and closed in 1966.
The museum contains a simulated coal mine and blacksmith shop, antique farm tools, memorabilia from local businesses and a library for genealogical research. The museum is owned and maintained by the Novinger Planned Progress. It is located just one block south of the Novinger Log Homestead.
Admission: $1; children, 50 cents. Open the Sundays of Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends, as well as the 2nd & 4th Sundays in June, July and August from 2 - 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.