Saint Mary’s of the Barrens Historic District was founded in 1818 and the church was started in 1827. The Shrine was built in 1929 to honor Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. The church is decorated with beautiful paintings, stained glass windows, and intricate design work on the walls and ceilings. The heritage of the church comes from our Vincentian family and those we serve. It is a national center for Marian devotion.The beautiful Votive Light room represents the thousands of requests for prayer at Our Lady’s Shrine. Visitors are welcome for daily Mass. Visitors are also welcome to walk the beautifully landscaped grounds with an outdoor Marian Grotto, a Rosary Walk and more. There is also a gift shop on site. Tours are also available. Please call or visit our website for details.
Saint Catherine Labouré (1806–1876) joined the Daughters of Charity, a religious order devoted to serving the poor. In 1830, as a young novice in the community, she had visions of the Virgin Mary. She was given the design for what has come to be known as the Miraculous Medal, now worn by Christians the world over. In 1947, she was canonized by Pope Pius XII.