"*" indicates required fields
Lone Elk Park is a wildlife management area, with bison, wild turkey, waterfowl, elk and deer.
The park acreage was once part of the Tyson Valley Powder Plant used for the testing and storage of ammunition during WWII. After the War, the area served as a County Park, and in 1948 herds of elk and bison were established. The land was re-acquired by the Federal Government during the Korean War, and for safety reasons the wildlife herds were destroyed in 1958. However, one lone bull elk survived.
In 1964 St. Louis County reacquired a portion of the original tract from the General Services Administration and in 1966 the name was changed from Tyson Park to Lone Elk County Park. Six additional elk were obtained from Yellowstone National Park in 1966 through the efforts of the children of the Rockwood School District and West St. Louis County Lions Club.
The park was officially opened to the public on October 17, 1971. Six bison were acquired from the St. Louis Zoo in July 1973.
Motorcycles are prohibited. Domestic animals are not allowed, even if confined in a vehicle.