This Lewis and Clark monument sits next to the Capitol, at the corner of Jefferson Street and Capitol Avenue. The sculpture commemorates June 4, 1804, when the Corps of Discovery encamped in the area. The plaza includes statues of Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, York (Clark’s man-servant), George Druillard (French-Canadian-Shawnee hunter and interpreter) and Seaman (Lewis’s Newfoundland dog), plus a journal, telescope, guns and hats. Water features, walkways and benches within the plaza add to the landscape. Docent volunteers are on-site weekends from mid-May through mid-September, pesenting information on the personalities and accomplishments of the figures; Saturdays and Holiday Mondays from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sundays 2-4 p.m., at no charge.