The Centralia Battlefield is about three miles southeast of Centralia on Rangeline Road. Located on the battlefield is a monument describing the events of Sept. 27, 1864; that monument was donated by the Sons of the Confederate Veterans. A monument honoring the Union Soldiers who died was donated by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
The Battlefield is open to the public and contains a picnic area and two Civil War markers; the site is among those listed on Missouri’s Gray Ghosts Trail. The Battle of Centralia featured Southern partisans commanded by “Bloody Bill” Anderson, whose men wiped out a Union force led by Maj. A.V.E. Johnson. The battle took place within hours of the Centralia Massacre, during which Anderson and his men killed 23 recently discharged and furloughed Union soldiers. According to reports, Jesse James fired the shot that killed Major Johnson.