Explore a series of markers documenting the history and Civil War involvement of Bloomfield and Stoddard County. The locations are found throughout the downtown area and surrounding area.
Stoddard County Historical Marker: Cast aluminum marker in Bloomfield City Park that tells the history and geography of Stoddard County. (Park Lake Drive and Crowley Ridge Drive)
General Davidson's Cavalry: Cast aluminum marker in the Bloomfield City Park across from the large pavilion tells the story of six thousand Union cavalrymen that waited in Bloomfield for more than a week for orders to proceed into Arkansas and capture Little Rock. (Park Lane Drive and Crowley Ridge Drive)
First Stoddard County Courthouse Marker: Missouri red granite mounment describes first county government and lists officials. (507 Spring St.)
Mutiny in Bloomfield: Marker commemorating Oct. 22, 1863, when Union officers mutinied against their commanding officer, Major Sam Montgomery. (201 Center St.)
First Stars & Stripes Newspaper: Cast aluminum marker on the west lawn of the Stoddard County Government Building recounts when, where and how the first issue of the United States' military newspaper The Stars and Stripes was printed. Sponsored by the Missouri Press Association. (401 S. Prairie St.)
Address listed below is for the Old Courthouse. Markers site locations vary.
Civil War in Bloomfield: Table-type marker on the Old Court House lawn; describes the war in the community. (316 S. Prairie St.)
Major Amos Stoddard Marker: Cast aluminum marker on the Old Courthouse lawn featuring a biographical sketch of Major Amos Stoddard, the American patriot for whom the county is named. (316 S. Prairie St.)
Stoddard County War Memorial Markers: Three Missouri red granite markers on the southeast corner of the Old Courthouse lawn, listing over 200 Stoddard County war dead of WW I, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. (316 S. Prairie St.)
Minton Brothers Aboard the C.S. Arkansas (side 1) The Death of Captain Tom Walker (side 2): Cast aluminum marker on the north lawn of the Stoddard County Courthouse (316 S Prairie)
Execution of Asa V. Ladd Cast aluminum marker on the north lawn of the Stoddard County Courthouse (316 S Prairie) One of six Confederate POWs executed in St. Louis by order of Union Maj. Gen.Rosecrans at urging of Brig. Gen.Thomas Ewing, Jr., famous for Order No 11 in Western Missouri.
Bloomfield Academy: Cast aluminum marker near the intersection of Missouri Street and School Street. This was the location of the Bloomfield Academy (built 1860-61). During the second school year, the building was confiscated by the Missouri State Guard for a hospital. After Union troops occupied the town, the building was used as a barracks by1st Wisconsin cavalrymen (404 W. Missouri St.)
The Civil War Hospitals of Bloomfield: Cast aluminum marker (303 N. Prairie) This marker is located on the site of Major Henry Bedford's home, It is the location of one of several hospitals in Bloomfield. Maj. Bedford was an officer in the Missouri State Guard. Due to his health, he did not continue to serve in the military when the Guard disband at the end of 1861.
Fatal Tree: Cast alumni marker describes a tree used for hangings during the Civil War with a sketch of the tree drawn by a Wisconsin soldier. Parking permitted in the First Commercial Bank parking lot. (Intersection of Routes 25 and E)