"*" indicates required fields
This stately, two-story brick house was built in 1849. The home was considered to be a mansion because it was one of the first homes in the area to have glass in the windows. Home of William Kendrick, a blacksmith/gunsmith, the house and 570 acres were purchased for $7,000.
Kendrick Place was one of the few homes left standing in Jasper County after the Civil War. It was used as headquarters and as a hospital by both the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. Kendrick Place was used as a sick house before and after the Civil War and as the courthouse when the city was burned during the war.
The home was owned by members of the Kendrick Family until it was purchased by Victorian Carthage in the 1980s. One owner operated a gas station and grocery store on the property and later an ice cream parlor out of the house.
Ever conscious of their heritage, the Kendrick descendants kept meticulous records and genealogical information on the house and family. This information is used today to tell the stories of the house and its families.
Kendrick Place was restored to the look of a typical 1860s home. Today, the house serves as a living museum and is available for tours (by appointment); private event space is available for rent.