The Maclay Home

8
209 W. Howard St.
Tipton, MO 65081
Phone: 660-433-2068
2 p.m.-4 p.m.

The Maclay Home contains 17 rooms of original furnishings from the 1800s. Built in 1858 as Rose Hill Seminary for girls, it was used as headquarters by General John Fremont during his 1861 stay in Tipton during the Civil War.

Following the war, this three-story brick structure became home to three generations of the Maclay and Gleim families. All clothing and furniture on display belonged to family members. Stepping through the front door is like stepping back into another era.

Open the second and fourth Sundays, May through October; other times by appointment.

Associated Articles
GENERAL INTEREST INFO
  • open seasonally only
  • gift / souvenir shop
  • This facility is on the National Register of Historic Places
FOR TRAVELERS WITH DISABILITIES
  • Not Wheelchair Accessible
SMOKING POLICY
  • No Smoking
SUITABLE FOR THESE AGE GROUPS
  • All ages
ACTIVITIES ON-SITE OR WITHIN 10 MILES
  • fishing
  • biking / walking trails
  • golf
PET POLICY
  • pets are not allowed
RATES
  • $10-$25
TYPES OF PAYMENT ACCEPTED
  • Cash
  • Personal Check
GROUP POLICY
  • advance contact required
TO AND FROM
Enter Your Zip Code
{0} REGION - KEY CITIES