In 1905, utilizing a portion of the proceeds from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, the Missouri general assembly appropriated $185,000 to build the Supreme Court Building.
The three-story, red-brick building was completed in October of 1907. The structure features French Renaissance architecture, stone pillars at each wing of the front facade, stone trim and a slate roof. Prominent in the lobby is an elegant marble staircase.
The building houses the seven judges' offices; the Supreme Court clerk and the clerk’s staff; two courtrooms; the two-story-high Supreme Court Library, and the office of the state attorney general. Intricate portraits of past judges of the Court are located on each of the three floors.
Free half-hour tours of this historic building are available Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-11 a.m. and 2 p.m.- 4 p.m., with the last tour of the day beginning at 3:30 p.m. Closed Saturdays, Sundays and state holidays.
Tour times fill quickly, so please schedule your tour well in advance. Unscheduled walk-in tours are available each day at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.