Saint Mary's of the Barrens Historic District was founded in 1818; the church was started in 1827. The Shrine was built in 1929 to honor our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. The church is modeled after the Vincentian Motherhouse chapel in Rome, Monte Citorio. The church is decorated with paintings and has intricate design work on the walls and ceilings. It is a national center for Marian devotion.
Visitors are welcome for daily Mass. Visitors are welcome to walk the beautifully landscaped grounds and visit our outdoor Marian Grotto.
Tours are available. Please call or visit our website for details.
Saint Catherine Labouré (1806–1876): Shortly after Catherine Labouré joined the Daughters of Charity, a religious order devoted to serving the poor, she reportedly began having visions of the Virgin Mary. In one, she was shown the design for what has come to be known as the Miraculous Medal, now worn by Christians the world over. Her role in the medal's creation was concealed until after her death, so she lived out her life in relative obscurity. In 1947, she was canonized by Pope Pius XII.