In celebration of Earth Day and Arbor Day 2019, Graham Cave State Park will be hosting a self guided Storybook Hike featuring the children's picture book, "The Busy Tree" by Jennifer Ward. "Tokens" may be collected along the trails that can be used when you make your own tree in the visitor center. This is a .3 mile moderate level hike on Graham Cave Loop Trail, which starts at the lower parking lot. Afterwards, come into our visitor center where you will be able to explore the world of trees and the role they play in our lives.
Visitor center activities include:
- Make your own tree
- Compare different kinds of tree bark and tree branches
- Learn what a tree's rings can tell you
- "How old is the Tree?" guessing game
- Plant your own bean seeds and keep a diary
- What's growing on the bark?
- Watch a leaf "breath"
- What do trees do for us?
- And more...
All activities are free and open to the public. We encourage you to dress weather appropriate for the hike. Insect repellent is highly recommended.