Explore a series of markers documenting the history and Civil War involvement of Bloomfield and Stoddard County. The locations are found throughout the downtown area and surrounding county.
- Civil War in Bloomfield: Table-type marker on the Old Court House lawn; describes the war in the community. (316 S. Prairie St.)
- Major Amos Stoddard Marker: Pressed aluminum marker on the Old Courthouse lawn featuring a biographical sketch of Major Amos Stoddard, the American patriot for whom the county is named. (316 S. Prairie St.)
- Minton Brothers Aboard the C.S. Arkansas (side 1) The Death of Captain Tom Walker (side 2): Pressed aluminum marker on the north lawn of the Stoddard County Courthouse (316 S Prairie)
- Stoddard County War Memorial Markers: Three Missouri red granite markers on the southeast corner of the Old Courthouse lawn, listing over 200 Stoddard County war dead of WW I, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. (316 S. Prairie St.)
Address listed above is for the Old Courthouse. Markers site locations vary.
- First Stars & Stripes Newspaper: Pressed aluminum marker on the west lawn of the Stoddard County Government Building recounts when, where and how the first issue of the United States’ military newspaper The Stars and Stripes was printed. Sponsored by the Missouri Press Association. (401 S. Prairie St.)
- Bloomfield Academy: Pressed aluminum marker near the intersection of Missouri Route J and School Street. This was the location of the Bloomfield Academy (built 1860-61). During the second school year, the building was confiscated by the Missouri State Guard for a hospital. After Union troops occupied the town, the building was used as a barracks by 1st Wisconsin cavalrymen (404 W. Missouri St.)
- Mutiny in Bloomfield: Marker commemorating Oct. 22, 1863, when Union officers mutinied against their commanding officer, Major Sam Montgomery. (201 Center St.)
- Fatal Tree: Pressed alumni marker describes a tree used for hangings during the Civil War with a sketch of the tree drawn by a Wisconsin soldier. Parking permitted in the First Commercial Bank parking lot. (Intersection of Routes 25 and E)
- First Stoddard County Courthouse Marker: Missouri red granite monument describes first county government and lists officials. (507 Spring St.)
- General Davidson’s Cavalry: Pressed aluminum marker in the Bloomfield City Park across from the large pavilion tells the story of six thousand Union cavalrymen that waited in Bloomfield for more than a week for orders to proceed into Arkansas and capture Little Rock. (Park Lake Drive and Crowley Ridge Drive)
- Stoddard County Historical Marker: A large marker in Bloomfield City Park that tells the history of Stoddard County. (Park Lake Drive and Crowley Ridge Drive)
- Blue Star Memorial: a tribute to the armed forces that have defended the United States of America, sponsored by the Garden Clubs of Missouri, Inc. (in the Veterans Cemetery, 17357 Stars and Stripes Way)