Built in 1853, Old St. Vincent's Church is a beautifully restored Gothic Catholic Church that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The church is of 15th century Italian Renaissance architecture. It is predominately Gothic with some Roman influence as is seen in the many arches.
An unusual feature is the over 100 medieval design plaster masks portraying characters from the Miracle and Mystery plays. The pews and altars are original as is the communion rail with its unusual wrought iron design, windows, frames and casings; all dating to the 1850s. The massive 3.25-inch thick doors are hand carved. Very few churches of this style exist in America. It is truly surprising that a church of this magnitude and design was built in 1853 in the then small, quaint community of Cape Girardeau.
There is something else about Old St. Vincent's the church; something that cannot be physically touched, only felt. The gothic arches and the graceful lines invite one to prayer and fellowship. Old St. Vincent's Church is designated as a "Chapel of Ease" and hosts a number of religious and cultural events throughout the year.
The public is invited to tour Old St. Vincent's Church on Saturdays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., from the first of May through the end of September. Mass is celebrated every Sunday at 10:00 a.m. While admission is free, donations are appreciated and will be used to preserve Old St. Vincent's for future generations.