Several Missouri attractions and destinations have been named among the “Best in the Midwest” by readers of AAA Midwest Traveler magazine. Results of fan voting were announced in the magazine’s July/August issue.
St. Louis was named the best large city for a weekend getaway, while Branson was named as the best small city for a weekend getaway. Memorial Stadium, home of Faurot Field and the Missouri Tigers in Columbia, was named as the Midwest’s best place to watch a college football game.
The magazine cited St. Louis’ assortment of reasonably priced and free attractions as one of the city’s top qualities. Branson, which readers selected as their favorite small city getaway in both 2011 and 2012, was noted for its variety of entertainment options and plentiful dining and lodging options. The publication noted that Memorial Stadium, when filled to its 71,000-seat capacity, becomes Missouri’s ninth-largest city.
Other Missouri selections included:
· Best large hotel: Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch
· Best small hotel: The Raphael, Kansas City
· Best weekend escape: Lake of the Ozarks
· Best live music: Kansas City
· Best natural area or nature trail: Mark Twain National Forest
· Best casino: Ameristar Casino Resort, St. Charles
· Best golf trail: Lake of the Ozarks Golf Trail
· Best food festival: World Series of Barbecue, Kansas City
· Best outdoor dining: The Boathouse at Forest Park, St. Louis
In other categories:
· Independence, home of Harry Truman, was selected as the best day tour from Kansas City
· St. Charles, the site of Missouri’s oldest and largest historic district, was voted best day tour from St. Louis
· Country Club Plaza, a 15-block shopping, dining, lodging and entertainment district, was named as the best attraction in Kansas City
· Saint Louis Zoo, home to the new Sea Lion Sound exhibit, was voted the best attraction in St. Louis
· Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, noted as one of those “you-have-to-see-it-to-believe-it” places, was selected as Springfield’s top attraction.
To see the full article and more details about each of the winning selections, check out the July/August issue of AAA’s Midwest Traveler magazine online.