The National Park Service presents the sights and sounds of winters past. At the free annual series, the Old Courthouse Rotunda is decked in authentic Victorian décor. Guests are invited to experience holiday music, food and dancing from eras in St. Louis history.
At the two holiday balls, volunteers in period clothing demonstrate how early St. Louisans celebrated the holiday season. Guests learn about foods, music and dancing common to holidays. On select Wednesdays, the Old Courthouse hosts concerts featuring lunchtime performances.
Historic Holiday Traditions at the Old Courthouse Kick-off Concerts
- Nov. 28, noon: St. Louis Irish Arts; extended holiday hours at the Gateway Arch, 9 a.m.- 8 p.m.
- Nov. 29, noon: St. Louis Confluence Chamber Orchestra; extended holiday hours at the Gateway Arch, 9 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Historic Holiday Traditions at the Old Courthouse Free Concert Series
- Dec. 3, noon: Performance by Mehlville High School Madrigals Ensemble
- Dec. 10, noon: TBA
- Dec. 17, noon: TBA
St. Louis Holiday Historic House Tour
- Dec. 11, 3 p.m.-8 p.m: Part of a five-stop house tour, the Old Courthouse features Sprerrent & Truman Middle School Fiddlers; Boonslick Strings; dancing led by Deborah Hyland; and cooking with food historian Suzanne Corbet.
1864 St. Louis Holiday Ball at the Old Courthouse
- Dec. 20, 9 a.m.-11 a.m.: Dance workshop featuring 1864’s most popular dance steps
- Dec. 20, noon-4 p.m.: Independent Silver Band, with dancing. Deborah Hyland provides dance instruction to the most popular dances of the mid 19th century. Historic characters are in attendance.
1764 Twelfth Afternoon Ball at the Old Courthouse
- Jan. 3, noon-4 p.m.: Dennis Stroughmatt et L’Esprit Creole concert, featuring French holiday music of the early St. Louis settlers. Deborah Hyland teaches the most popular dances of the mid 18th century. Food historian Suzanne Corbet presents treats common to St. Louis dinner tables during that holiday season. King’s Cake is served. The King and Queen of Mardi Gras are crowned.
The Historic Holiday Traditions events at the Old Courthouse take place on the above-listed dates ONLY.