Built in two sections by Western adventurer Henri Chatillon and the DeMenil family, the mansion was constructed between 1849 and 1863. Restored to represent life as the DeMenils lived it in the late 19th century, the house is full of stories.
The families who lived here were descendants of the founders of St. Louis and part of the exploration of the West. Through stories and images, you meet buffalo hunters, a Creole-Sioux family, a patent medicine maker, and a poet and politician who stayed in the mansion long after the neighborhood became industrial.
Furnished with Demenil family heirlooms and antiques, the house is a true museum of Victorian culture. The mansion is home to the largest permanent collection of 1904 World’s Fair memorabilia, numbering more than 1,200 pieces.
Tours are offered on the hour. Admission: $5; younger than 12, $2.
The mansion hosts many special tours and events throughout the year; check our website for details and schedules. The museum is closed during the month of January.