The museum is in the ancestral home of Fred and Mabel Ruth Anheuser. It is located 25 miles south of downtown St. Louis. The home, built in 1867, sits at the south end of the town by the Mississippi River at Water's Point.
The Anheuser family bought the estate in 1916 and used it as a summerhouse until 1945, when Mabel-Ruth and her husband Frederick Straub Anheuser moved there. The Anheuser collection includes family heirlooms, antiques, portraits, and a family library.
Accenting the collection are Mrs. Anheuser's Westward Ho Crystal collection and a pair of 1904 hand-carved World's Fair beds. The grounds feature splendid views of the river; bald eagles are often spotted soaring above the bluffs.