Sign up to receive e-newsletters, discounts and promotions
In June 1862, the Civil War Battle of Kirksville involved about 1,000 soldiers; with approximately 500 Union soldiers and 500 Confederate troops taking part.
It is unclear how many men were killed during three hours of fighting. Reports vary anywhere from five to 28 Union soldiers, and to between 35 and 100 Confederate soldiers. An unknown number of Confederate soldiers were executed following the battle.
The battle was seen as a victory for the Union; a marker in Forest Llewellyn Cemetery (four blocks west of Kirksville's square) was erected on the spot of a mass grave where local residents buried executed Confederates.
At the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, William Woods student Helen Stephens won two gold medals. Many of her mementos are on display in the Helen Stephens Sports Complex on the William Woods University campus.
Known as the “Fulton Flash,” Stephens won nine Amateur Athletic Union track-and-field titles by the age of 18. Stephens drew the public eye as a brilliant champion in the 1936 Olympics, when she ran the 100 meters in 11.5 seconds – setting a world record that stood for 24 years.
“The Fulton Flash” won a second gold as anchor leg in the 400-meter relay. As an amateur she set world, Olympic, American and Canadian records in running, broad jump and discus.
After winning three more U.S. national titles (50 meters, shot put, 200 meters), Stephens retired from competitive track. During her 30-month career, she competed in more than 100 races, winning every one of them. She and Jesse Owens headlined a tour before Stephens moved on to briefly play professional basketball and softball.
Jeannie, a 105mm howitzer, played a lead role in the 79th Division's liberation of France in World War II. A commemorative plaque illustrates crew and the gun's operation.
This memorial along Route 63 commemorates area men and women who have served in the military. A World War I German Howitzer and a Civil War cannon are on-site. In Rotary Park.
The 10-foot-tall Kneeling Miner, created by Webb City artist Jack Dawson, commemorates the city's early 20th century history of lead mining. Open year-round. Free.
The fully restored 1893 streetcar rumbles around the tracks in King Jack Park on holidays, and for birthdays, anniversaries and reunions. It is located adjacent to the depot.
Bronze stars and informative plaques imbedded in the sidewalk honor famous St. Louisans who had a impact on our national culture. You’ll be surprised at some of the people who had ties to St. Louis.
Located along Delmar Boulevard, in entertainment district known as The Loop, they are informative and fun.
The old Prosperity Junction Streetcar Depot has been reconstucted at the entrance to King Jack Park, next to the re-laid tracks. It houses the Webb City Chamber of Commerce and a display on the Southwest Missouri Electric Railway.
The Heritage House was built in 1870. It has been moved to its own park and restored. Property includes shed and farm machinery.
Contact Us | Blog | Privacy Statement | ADA Compliance | Help Us Help You | Facebook Disclaimer
Listings of businesses and events appearing on this site are supplied by the entities themselves. All information is subject to change without notice. Listings are posted for information only. The Missouri Division of Tourism (MDT) assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or the content of individual listings or for the validity of any Web links included therein. A listing appearing on VisitMO does not imply endorsement or recommendation by MDT, the Missouri Department of Economic Development, the State of Missouri or any department/division thereof.
Web Development by SteadyRain Internet Strategy, Web Design, and Online Marketing